Are you hiding inside your house, trying to keep the kids quiet and ignore the ringing doorbell? Are you scared to answer the door, because your house is not nearly company clean?
There are ways to keep your home always ready for company. Company clean may not be spotless, and immaculate, but it’s not going to be shameful to let the neighbors in for a cup of coffee either!
Follow these tips and you’ll always be ready for that knock on the door or the surprise visit from your mother in law!!
In the kitchen:
- Always clean up spills and drips as soon as they happen.
- Take ten minutes after each meal to load the dishwasher and wipe the counters, stove, microwave and sink. Never leave dishes in your sink. Would you rather spend ten minutes cleaning the kitchen after a meal, or thirty minutes or more after three meals? Do a quick sweep up after each meal too.
- Unload the dishwasher before bed or first thing in the morning. That way you won’t have to stack the breakfast dishes, or unload it before dinner.
- If the dishwasher isn’t completely full, add the microwave tray, a centerpiece bowl, or anything that is dishwasher safe and needs cleaning. Also toss in your sponge to sanitize it.
- Store your small appliances you don’t use everyday so they don’t get dirty, and it will be easier to clean your counters. It also looks cleaner when it’s less cluttered.
- Purge the fridge before you shop. Wipe down shelves and bins before you fill it up again.
The Living Areas:
- Baskets are perfect to keep things tidy and organized. Keep your mail in a basket till you sort through it.
- Your keys, cell phone, and loose change can go on a small pretty tray or in a bowl near the door.
- Keep a shoe rack near the door to keep from tripping over strewn shoes, and your entry way from looking like shoe city!
- Once a week shake out the mats and entryway rugs to keep dirt from being tracked into the house. Make your house a shoe free zone!
- Keep microfiber cloths handy and swipe away dust the second you see it. It’s easier to remove if you don’t let it build up.
- Always do a nightly walk through of the house. Put away items that were left out, fold the throws and fluff the pillows, and straighten the magazines and books on the coffee table.
- At the end of the day have the kids put their toys or other stuff away. Toss the dogs toys into a basket too.