So your schedule this week was not on track. Maybe your dryer broke or your stove wasn’t working. Maybe you had sick kids or no power and were buried in snow. Whatever the reasons, now your behind schedule and the house is not “company clean”. Here is a quick to do list for getting your home ready for your guests.
- Front Hallway: This is where your guests will get their first impression of your home. Wipe down the door of fingerprints. Clean the storm window. Sweep the hallway and run a damp mop over it. Vacuum area rugs.
- Powder room:All of your guests will be in this room at least once. Make sure this room is spotless. Wipe down the sink, mirror, and outsides of toilet. Swish the toilet with some cleanser or vinegar and baking soda. If you haven’t had time to wash the rugs, give them a quick shake outside, sweep the floor and run a damp mop over it. Empty the garbage. Hang fresh towels, make sure there is plenty of hand-soap and toilet paper. Light a candle.
- Family Room: Grab a laundry basket and throw everything that doesn’t belong there into it. Give the surfaces of all the tables a quick wipe down. Check the corners of the room for cobwebs. Windex the television and any glass surfaces. Run the vacuum. Light some candles.
- Kitchen: Load the dishwasher. Wipe down the counters, the refrigerator, the stove and the microwave. Don’t forget to clean the inside of the microwave. Sweep and mop the floors. Shake out the rugs and put out clean dishcloths. Empty garbage.
- Dining Room: Wipe down any surfaces like the front of the china cabinet and buffet. Check corners for cobwebs. Vacuum the rugs. Light candles.
Throw anything out of place into laundry baskets and put into a bedroom. Close the bedroom doors. Only concentrate on the areas that your guests will be congregating in.
Have fun, enjoy the holiday and remember the reason for the season. Put a smile on your face and be a gracious hostess and no one will notice if there is a fingerprint here and there or a stray dust bunny under the couch!